NAD M50 Digital Music Player
Archive Product Selection
Finishes Available finishes may be limited by location.
Masters Digital Music Suite
Now High Definition wireless music listening, streaming, storage and playback can be found in NAD's perfectly coordinated suite of high performance components. This is a complete solution that does not require a computer. These are noise-free components that offer state-of-the-art digital performance.
Until now, the only way to download and store these precious recordings has required the use of a computer. Computers are designed as business machines and are not built for audio performance. With the Masters Digital Music Suite, NAD introduces a new way to enjoy HD music downloads.
M50 Digital Music Player
The M50 is the brain of the Masters Digital Music Suite, where most of the processing and control functions are located. The M50 is a "software defined" product, meaning that much of the functionality of the system is defined by software not hardware. This means that new cloud services or audio codecs can be integrated at a future date by simply changing the software stack of the M50. This software upgrade potential means that there is a software "roadmap" that allows the M50 to live on and maintain its cutting edge functionality.
While the focus is clearly on 24/96 and 24/192 Studio Master downloads and listening, our roadmap includes Internet Radio and premium cloud services. You will be notified when these additional capabilities are available and given the option to add them in your M50.
The hardware includes the latest generation of low power, super high performance ARM processors. These have more computing power than a PC from just a few years ago, yet run cool and do not require noisy fans. Many different digital formats are supported in hardware including SPDIF, USB and unusually for a stereo audio component, HDMI. We included HDMI because it is a secure encrypted format that supports 24/192 HD Audio in PCM's native I2S format. This is not included as a video output.
There is a choice of wired or wireless network connection, and these use standard wireless protocol IEEE 802.11 b/g/n. While it is possible to stream 24/96 or 24/192 music wirelessly, we recommend a wired connection or local storage for HD music to avoid the possibility of dropouts. The Wi-Fi capability does offer the option of control from a smartphone or tablet with Wi-Fi, which is a fantastic way to enjoy your music collection. When combined with the M52 Digital Music Vault, the M50 becomes the ideal way to enjoy HD music as well as everything else in your collection including CDs, MP3s and AAC compressed music.
The M50 CD transport can playback or rip to the M52 Digital Music Vault, and ripping is completely automatic. NAD's management software is available for free download for Apple iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch. (Download the app from the Apple app store here) With a network connection to the internet, this music management software fetches meta data and cover art, without the need for a computer! Everything is organized and available for playback. You can browse your music collection using album art or category listings and easily create playlists on the fly.
Of course a tablet is not required to operate the M50, as there is an IR remote and 4-line graphic VFD display that operates like a conventional hi-fi component. The RS-232 and IR input allow integration with home automation systems as well. But the tablet or smartphone interface is addicting in its simplicity and ease of use. You can create and store playlists, and discover and play music from any device on the network. With your entire library at your fingertips, music listening becomes more engaging and more enjoyable.
Even CD playback is different and better than from existing CD players. Instead of streaming directly from the disc to the output, the M50 stores the CD as digital data in the M52 Digital Music Vault. It now can be played using the M50's music management software, with cover art and disc information clearly displayed on your Apple or Android phone or tablet. When played back it is re-clocked to the M50's high precision master clock for lowest levels of jitter.
Download the NAD music management app for iPad, iPhone, and iPod Touch here.
Download the NAD music management app for your Android device here.
- Support for 24/96 and 24/192 Studio Master audio
- Plays Digital Music from Both Network and Compact Disc
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) and Ethernet Inputs
- Automatic Ripping of CD to M52 Digital Music Vault
- Real Time Playback of CDs
- Decodes FLAC, ALAC, MP3, WMA, AAC, Ogg
- SPDIF Outputs; AES/EBU, Coaxial, Optical
- HDMI Output
- USB Output (Mass Storage Mode)
- USB Inputs, 1 Front (Host), 1 Rear (Device)
- RS-232 for External Control
- IR In/Out
- 12V Trigger In/Out
- IR Remote Control
- 4 Line Graphic VFD Display
- Software Defined Product with Upgrade Path
- <1W Standby Power Consumption
Processing Power to Support Years of Future Software Upgrades
- AMX Cortec A8
Designed for Lowest Jitter for Best Audio Performance
- Universal low noise power supply with separate regulation for the critical digital audio circuit
Fully Asynchronous Audio Playback from All Media Sources
- CD-Rip, Traditional CD-Playback, WiFi, Ethernet, USB HDDs & Sticks
- M50 Digital Music Player - English manual
- M50 Digital Music Player - French manual
- M50 Digital Music Player - German manual
- M50 Digital Music Player - Quick Setup Guide
- 2014-05-08 Great sounding combination needing just a bit of external ... ...
- 2014-04-21 M50 is a great step in the right direction – ...
- 2013-12-26 Well design amp – The following system was hook up and ...
- 2013-06-20 Fantastic digital music player but software needs to improve ...
- 2013-06-11 Great for Playback but not for Playlists – For about 10 ...
- 2013-04-05 Hesitant to get these, glad I did!! – The M50 and M52 are ...
Please fill out the form completely; all fields are required.
Hi-Fi / Stereo Products
- Hi-Fi Amplifiers
- Hi-Fi Receivers
- Digital Music
- DAC / Music Streamers
- CD Players
- Hi-Fi Accessories
- Hi-Fi MDC Modules
Complete Your System
This product works great with...
John DG - Belgium
I got boared with the sound of my old amp. I really shouldn't have bought my former amp. In my search for a new heart of my equipment, I bumped into the NAD C 356. Using B&W 683 speakers the ...