NAD C 390DD Direct Digital Powered DAC Amplifier
A New Concept in Amplification
Finishes Available finishes may be limited by location.
The NAD C 390DD is not only a new concept in amplification, but also in audio system architecture. First introduced in the now famous NAD M2 Direct Digital Amplifier, Direct Digital technology has been praised for its transparent, dynamic and detailed sound quality. Like the M2, the C 390DD has no analogue stages in the signal path, keeping music in the digital domain right up to the speaker outputs. All preamp functions are executed in the digital domain without the phase shift, noise and distortion that plagues all analogue designs regardless of price or pedigree. Its 35-bit architecture and 108MHz master clock also make Direct Digital one of the most accurate DAC technologies available.
Modular Design Construction
The advantages of a pure digital system are many, but one drawback is the constantly changing delivery formats for digital content. Each of these formats typically requires specialized hardware and software, often with licensed IP and content copy protection.
For this reason, we place all digital interface circuitry on easily upgradable modules. We call this Modular Design Construction or MDC. The C 390DD comes standard with one module, the DD USB 1 for USB interface, and open slots for two more modules. Optional MDC modules currently include the DD HDM-1 HDMI Module and the DD AP-1 Analogue Phono module. The DD HDMI-1 offers three HDMI inputs and one output with video pass through. This opens up the possibility of using the C 390DD as the heart of a "Video 2.0" system using the mandatory two-channel linear PCM soundtrack from Blu-ray or DVD to make a compelling two-channel high definition theatre presentation. Many Symphony Orchestras and some specialty music labels are also released in HD recordings on Blu-ray or DVD. The DD HDMI-1 is fully 3D video compatible, but there is no surround sound decoding or video processing.
The DD AP-1 module is also very innovative, using super high quality Analogue-to-Digital conversion to make analogue sources compatible with the C 390DD's pure digital circuitry. Using 24/192 processing, the ADC circuit auto-ranges for the best possible resolution and lowest noise. The phono circuit has impedance settings for both moving magnet (MM) and moving coil (MC) cartridges with gain automatically set.
The C 390DD has a very high continuous power rating of 150 watts per channel with almost virtually non-existent distortion and noise. More importantly, thanks to NAD's exclusive Digital PowerDrive circuit sensing the speaker load and altering amplifier characteristics, power delivery into real loudspeakers is enhanced with the most efficient power delivery and best safety margin. Resulting in power output that can more than triple the rated power for short periods of time to accurately and effortlessly reproduce musical transients. The result is that the C 390DD sounds even more powerful than its already impressive continuous power rating.
Since the C 390DD performs the functions of multiple conventional components, not only is the sound improved, but the way a music system is configured can change as well. The C 390DD is ready for the world of computer audio with its asynchronous USB input that can directly stream 24/96 content from your PC or Mac, USB memory sticks and hard drives (Fat32) are also supported with both front and rear connections. Or add NAD's innovative C 446 Digital Media Tuner to stream and manage your internet radio and NAS devices as well as local FM and AM broadcasts. Naturally, traditional components like CD, DVD, and Blu-ray disc players can all be accommodated. Even older analogue sources and turntables can be used with the optional DD Analogue/Phono Module.
The Direct Digital platform includes a large amount of DSP processing power, and NAD has fully exploited this power with a toolbox full of useful features. Even familiar features, like the volume control, benefit from the Direct Digital platform. Perfect signal tracking and channel balance combined with a total freedom from noise and distortion characterize this remarkable volume control. Traditional bass and treble controls also take on a new usefulness when distortion and phase shift are totally absent.
An 'electronic crossover' function is also included to easily allow bi-amplification or subwoofer integration. Frequencies from 40Hz to 200Hz can be selected with the high pass signal sent to the C 390DD amplifier section and the low pass sent to the preamp out.
One of the major problems in any high power music system is what we call 'room modes' or 'standing waves'. The wavelengths in the bass frequencies are so large that room dimensions disturb the even propagation of the sound (think of water ripples in a fish tank – when the wave hits the tank boundary a reverse interference wave is produced). The result of this effect is that certain bass notes are reinforced and become much too loud, making the bass sound 'boomy'. This effect actually changes the perception of the harmonic structure of the bass instruments and spoils the illusion of "listening through" to the acoustic space of the recording. Our simple solution is what we call Room EQ. Playing back a supplied test tone sequence allows this problem to be easily tamed using your ears and the C 390DD Room EQ filters. There are six frequency centres in the low bass region that can be cut (or slightly boosted) to remove the 'boom' without reducing the low bass response. The width or "Q" of the filter can also be adjusted to be wide or narrow to address a number of different room configurations.
Software Defined Product
Not only is the hardware platform of the C 390DD flexible and upgradable, but also almost every aspect of this fine instrument is software defined and can be upgraded. Future MDC upgrade modules are in the works to add new features and functions. Existing features can be upgraded with a simple software update. The C 390DD comes standard with eight inputs, and with the optional MDC modules, this can be expanded to 14! Inputs can be activated or hidden, and can be renamed to reflect the specific source component attached. Listening Mode, Polarity, and SoftClipping can all be easily selected and adjusted. RS-232, IR Inputs/Outputs and 12V triggers all make integration with home automations systems simple and effective.
The Future Begins Now
Small footprint, large power, low energy consumption, future-proof upgradability, software defined operation, backward compatibility, easy integration and a new high definition system architecture. All this and more is combined with what is arguably the most accurate DAC/amplifier ever devised in this radical yet, affordable package. Now is the time to update, upgrade and upend your preconceived notions of what a music system looks and sounds like.
USB MASS STORAGE DEVICE CAPACITY
The following are the C 390DD's capabilities with respect to USB mass storage device playability.
- Digital USB Front/Digital USB Back (USB Type A): Supports playback of MP3, WMA and FLAC files MP3/WMA: 48 kHz FLAC: 24 bit/48 kHz
- Computer (USB Type B): 24 bit/96 kHz PCM content from PC or MAC
- FAT12/16 root directory up to 256 files (short names)
- FAT12/16/32 up to 65535 files (short names) per directory
- FAT file system limited to 2TB
- File and directory names limited to 64 characters
- Up to 16 maximum level of directories
- Supports USB version 1.1
C 390DD Audio Resolution chart.
- USB Type A - 24 bit/48 kHz
- USB Type B - 24 bit/96 kHz
- Optical - 24 bit/192 kHz
- Digital Coax - 24 bit/192 kHz
- Optional HDMI DD HDMI-1 - 24 bit/192 kHz
NAD USB Audio Driver for Windows PCs (XP, Vista and 7)
In order to stream your computer audio, ensure that the Sound or Audio device setting of your computer is set to "NAD USB Audio". Download the "NAD USB Audio Driver" (click on the downloads tab on this page) and install this driver to your computer by following the instructions provided. Minimum system requirement: Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 2 or higher, Microsoft Windows 7 & 8.
Note: Any drivers previously loaded must be uninstalled prior to installing this driver
FOR MAC USERS
Minimum Mac OS X Snow Leopard (version 10.6) and later versions include USB Audio 2.0 drivers and therefore it is not necessary to install the NAD USB 2.0 Audio driver. Ensure the Sound device of your Mac is set to "NAD USB Audio 2.0"
C 390DD Software and Room EQ Feature Video
NOTE: Typical USB mass storage devices compatible with C 390DD include portable flash memory devices and external hard drives (FAT32).
- C390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier - Dutch Manual
- C390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier - English Manual
- C390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier - French Manual
- C390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier - German Manual
- C390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier - Italian Manual
- C390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier - Russian Manual
- C390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier - Spanish Manual
- C390DD Direct Digital Integrated Amplifier - Swedish Manual
- 2013-12-27 C 390DD Wins 2013 SoundStage Amplifier Award
- 2013-12-19 C 3900DD Wins Best Mid-Priced Amp for 2013
- 2013-10-14 FairAudio Reviews NAD C 390DD Amplifier
- 2013-04-19 NAD C 390DD Tested on AudioReview
- 2013-02-21 SoundStage Hi-Fi Editors Choose NAD C 390DD
- 2013-02-12 NAD Wins 5 Absolute Sound Editors Choice Awards
- 2012-12-19 NAD C 390DD Named Mid-Priced Amp of the Year
- 2012-11-08 The NAD Digital Road Show Hits UK Streets
- 2012-09-12 What Hi-Fi Rediscovers Class-D with NAD C 390DD
- 2012-09-10 NAD C 390DD is Product of the Month in Gramophone
- 2012-09-06 Brilliant NAD C 390DD Review in Absolute Sound
- 2012-08-27 Exclusive NAD C 390DD Review in Eins Null
- 2012-08-14 NAD C 390DD from Digital Audio Review
- 2012-08-09 Alpha-Audio Reviews NAD C 390DD
- 2012-07-13 C 390DD and C 446 Star in Absolute Sound Guide
- 2012-07-12 Australian Hi-Fi Review NAD T 787 and C 390DD
- 2012-03-05 HiFidelity Go Digital With C 390DD
- 2011-12-20 C 390DD Paves Way for Digital Revolution
- 2015-06-16 Fabulous upgrade for NAD C390DD! – The BlueOS module works ...
- 2014-10-05 Great Idea – I like everything about this amp except for ...
- 2014-07-26 Incredibly clear and controlled sound ! – (First, I regret ...
- 2013-12-21 NAD C390DD the Giant Killer – I really wasn't prepared for ...
- 2013-11-08 Wish for the near future – I have this wonderfull C390DD ...
- 2013-08-10 Fantastic Amp – The C390DD replaced a Rega DAC>van den ...
- 2013-07-12 Dead quiet, great dynamic range , very fluid – So I've ...
- 2013-04-17 Good to hear – Hey NAD, the 90s called, they want their ...
- 2013-04-14 C390DD Amplifier is a Triumph of Technology AND Music – I ...
- 2013-03-12 Performs well; claimed support of FAT32 USB hard drives ... ...
- 2013-01-30 390DD - Well Done NAD! – My system currently consists of an ...
- 2012-10-29 Best amp ever made, and I've had lots – My unit is the ...
- 2012-08-29 Great amp, lots of details, no noise – The C 390DD is a ...
- 2012-08-27 Dynamic and Liquid over achiever ! – Dear readers, Over ...
- 2012-06-27 Wow! – The C 390 DD is pure genius will be looked upon as ...
- 2012-06-23 fantastic amp – I've had the C390DD for six weeks now. I'm ...
- 2012-05-21 With Correct Speaker Setting Now Even Better – This is an ...
- 2012-05-02 Great Amp - Best In Price Range And Beyond. – This amp ...
- 2012-04-06 Fabulous equipment, flexible - beautiful sound – Fantastic ...
- 2012-03-13 Exceptional amplifier – I have owned this amplifier for ...
- 2012-01-31 A giant leap forward in high-end audio amplification! – My ...
- 2012-01-21 Fine, precise, gentle, but. – Today I had a listen to it. I ...
Please fill out the form completely; all fields are required.
Hi-Fi / Stereo Products
- Hi-Fi Amplifiers
- Hi-Fi Receivers
- Digital Music
- DAC / Music Streamers
- CD Players
- Hi-Fi Accessories
- Hi-Fi MDC Modules
Complete Your System
This product works great with...
Lex v W - Netherlands
The C390DD replaced a Rega DAC>van den Hul the First Ultimate mk2>Primare A30.1; a very good sounding set with a new price about €1000 more then the NAD. The NAD bested it in all ...